Taking the stairs everyday instead of the elevator burns calories and can lead up to a ten pound weight loss in one year! Check out Health Canada to incorporate a ‘Stairway to Health’ program into your life and calcuate the calrories you burn for your weight and body with their online calculator.
Did You Know?
- Physical Activity improves health. A little is good, but more is better.
- Canada’s Physical Activity Guide recommends building physical activity into all aspects of daily life- at home, at work, at school, at play and on the way- that’s active living.
- Daily living activities like climbing the stairs significantly contribute to the 30 minutes of physical activity we all need…everyday.
- Using the stairs burns twice as many calories as walking.
- Regular stair users have greater leg strength and aerobic capacity than non climbers.
- Taking the stairs is often faster than waiting for the elevator.
Stairway to Health is a partnership between Public Health Agency of Canada and the Canadian Council for Health and Active Living at Work (CCHALW) with a special thanks to Ottawa Heart Beat.